Today, after work, I called in at the boat to have a go at pressure testing the heating system/radiators. On lifting the engine board (which I'd only last week swapped from checker-plate to phenolic board) I stumbled and went head first on top of the engine. Suffice to say I screamed like a girl and howled a lot of words I shouldn't know!
It hurt like hell - my face ended up wedged between the diesel pipe and the top of the block. Annoyingly, I've not a cut or bruise to show for it... Once I was composed enough to try and extricate myself, I made a valiant attempt at an all in one leap out - the kind of thing a gymnast would do.
Alas, I am clearly NOT a gymnast. This resulted my legs ending up where my face had just been and unbeknownst to me (at that time) I snapped off something on the diesel filter housing :-(
This is the
Trouble was, I didn't KNOW I'd done it until later on when I tried to start the engine. It was only then, after probably 4 failed attempts it occurred to me I might have done something. She would turn over and start but immediately stop - no matter what position the throttle was in.
At first I thought someone had stolen the diesel (the gauge is fitted but not calibrated yet) so I opened the tank to take a look - no ... still plenty of fuel. Then it occurred to me the wood we have laying around in the lounge was at one side so perhaps no fuel was able to be picked up due to the listing...
SO I moved the wood to the centre to balance the boat up a bit and then tried again... STILL no luck. ... Staring blankly into the hole, wishing I'd NOT taken the manual home on Sunday, as the light was fading I switched on my head torch only to notice the thing pictured above. Then it all became clear.
Tomorrow, I'll try and source a replacement and in the meanwhile, will take it into work with me and find a bolt the same size - it "looks" about 6mm but I'll measure it and hopefully find something to fill the hole. I'm not sure if a normal bolt will enable me to prime, bleed and secure it enough for the engine to run but It's worth a try... I can always grind a bit out.
ANYWAY - back to the pressure testing.
Having buggered around with a foot pump on my own (and thus not able to get any pressure in as it was obviously escaping somewhere) Mark on the boat behind Mick, came and loaned me his 12v compressor.
Whilst it was inflating, I went into the cabin to listen for air ... I didn't have to go far as the push fit on the calorifier was the 1st culprit. Despite my best attempts at pushing the elbow further on, I could n't get a seal so I ended up taking it off and replacing it with a bit of plastic pipe and a compression fitting... and a stop tap so as to be able to isolate it from the heating circuit.
I've pumped it up and again and will leave it over night to see how it fairs.
Until next time...