In between showers/downpours, I did manage to get the splash-backs out of the car and get them up.
It did occur to me to countersink some nice stainless slotted screws... but in the end, I went for beige construction adhesive. It was a little bit of a faff cutting the poplar edging strips to accommodate it but my little cordless multi-tool did a reasonable job.
In hindsight - perhaps I should have also done both ends against the cupboards... hmmf!
Still, it's better than it was before and more importantly, now there is some protection above the hob, Mr BSS man should be happy.
WRITING of Mr. BSS man, I've booked him for the 22nd. I think everything is OK now - just a couple of labels to put on things such as fuses and the gas locker - otherwise I've ticked everything off the check-list. Once that,s done, I'll get in touch with the insurance company and increase the cover. As it stands, I think we're a little low.
The brushed stainless steel disks that surround the fire flue look ok too.