Thursday 14 January 2021

Why are 'dates' so significant? - stalled dieting (it must be hormonal) and tlc.

 I'll get this out of the way - I've been watching the calendar creep  up slowly to today's date - (14th)... it's the 2nd anniversary of Joyce's death.   I presume my brother and father have been doing the same... and probably her brother too (I suppose I could have just said 'other members of my family) ... I can't believe it's 2 years already... it certainly doesn't feel like 2 years have passed.  I still quite often make mental notes to phone her about something that's just happened/or is planed "later" - only to be jerked back to reality.  Most odd.  I'm no further down the road of understanding grief - all that 'five stages' stuff and it being fluid etc. perhaps finally making a little  more sense but not in a useful way.  It does annoy me that my dreams vary from back in the family home as a child to those of an crematorium worker (no idea what their job title is) who's having trouble getting the 'oven' (for want of a better term) to light.... MOST odd... Anyway -  mum, if you are reading this waffle, just know that dad is lonely but managing and (as you know) remains just as stubborn but selfless as ever... you've also missed nothing by dying as last year was a total bummer for everyone and this year isn't looking much better either! x  

, , , , , , , , 

I'm approaching my 2nd 'weights and measures' day tomorrow and (me being me) couldn't resist a quick early viewing... I wish I hadn't - I'm stalled completely... ergo, I've not budged an ounce in 6 days now - unless today is some kind of miracle, when I write down the figs tomorrow, they are going to be exactly the same.  No Ok - I've NOT just been drinking the slop - I've been having 2 meals of slop during the day followed by a nice tea.  Perhaps I've skipped the 'losing' stages and gone straight to 'maintenance' - hmmf.

It might




 be a portion control 
 that's to blame - but I can't sleep when I'm hungry so unless I go to bed, half an hour after I've eaten tea (that's dinner/supper to you southern folks), I lay away feeling miserable... ADD Dry January to the mix and it's a pretty long night!

Oh well - perhaps if I'd measured thighs, belly and boobs I might have a hidden reduction... I suppose I'll never know .... what I DO know is that I too can be a stubborn bugger (like my dad) and will keep at the regime and see what the end of week 3 brings in 8 days time.  My liver if nothing else will be pleased with the break from gin.

MID January is a miserable time for everyone - the 'news' (if you can call it that) - most of it's lazy reporting about bugger all... making a fuss cause Boris went 7 miles away from home on a bike ride...- Radio 2 even debating it on their lunchtime show (which I generally turn off cause it really does let the whole schedule down)...  Anyone over the age of 4 who's ever ridden a bike - certainly for exercise knows you can cover 50+ miles quite easily.  My "walking" is quite often 7 miles away from the boat in one direction before I turn back.    Poor news (or lack of news) reporting really is diluting the reputation of the beeb which is a shame.  

The weather is crap, lots of people have historical family deaths in their minds and daylight is severely lacking... add covid into the mix and I'm surprised folks aren't jumping in front of trains! - perhaps they might be, were we not 'locked down' !

Still, there is a little light at the end of the tunnel (although it feels like Harecastle with the doors shut behind us at the moment)  with vaccinations... delivery of them still a concern but things can only get better... surely!

When the weather permits, I'm still out walking 10-14 miles a day... alas, I'm not good a walking in the rain.  RAIN does mean however, that I feel obliged to do "inside jobs" - Yesterday, I gave the bulkhead above the bathroom basin and hull sides a bit of TLC.  The wood was looking a bit tarnished with 'splash marks' so I sanded it down and gave it 3 coats of morrells - it's hard to see from the photos, but it has made a big difference. 





 Today, (it's hammering down again) the walking might get skipped or reduced to 5 miles) I might do the ceiling as that is looking worse for wear too.

After that, I'll turn my attention to the rear steps - which you'll recall last winter I painted Grey - well, what with the 'non-slip' granules, they've proven VERY hard to keep clean - ego, they are now going to be painted black so the foot fall doesn't show quite so much.


Until next time...



No comments: