Friday, 21 October 2016

A Trusting bunch...

Boaters that is... well to be more specific, a bloke called "Steve" (aka  the barnacle from canal world forums).  Let me explain.

Last week, I was browsing various topics on the boards and came across one about solar panel mounting brackets.  Within the posting was a link to some brackets on Ebay - oddly enough, I have the same ones already in my 'watch list'...

They were to be a back up plan if I couldn't be arsed ran out of time to make my own.  In short they were aluminium and £38 a pair (we need 3 pairs)...

ANYWAY - back to the posting...  a fellow forum contributor made a post referencing this barnacle chap, saying that at some point in the past, he'd made a batch that were much better quality.  I sent him a message and he got back to me to say he did have a few pairs left and I could have them at £30 a pair.  I duly sent him our address and requested paypal details so I could make payment.

IN the post this week, a rather heavy box arrived, containing said items:




4 pairs of very well made, stainless steel brackets - MUCH better than I could have made and not a sharp edge in sight!

He even included a tub of various fixing that might be useful.

I did of course log on to thank him and request payment details again... to which he's replied there is no rush as he's not gotten around to sorting out a paypal account yet.  

HOW Trusting is that? - Very much appreciated though.  Top bloke!

Also this week, whilst work HAS been (and continues to be) all consuming, I have managed to make a few fender hanging brackets on the band saw at lunch time.  We had a bit of nylon left over from the Ghost train we made last year so I downloaded a photo of one from midland chandlers (sorry fellas), printed it out and then traced it on to the nylon and then cut it out - the result being this:

I challenge anyone to tell the difference between this and one costing a fiver!

The final thing that I sorted this week, is the water-borne lacquer from Morrells.  It was recommended by the joiner fitting out the boat and it was a bit of a struggle via internet means to find a supplier, doing it the old fashioned way, i phoned their head office direct who put me in touh with a local stockist and today on route (strangled I admit) home from work, I bought 10 litres of the 10% sheen - it should give a nice mat finish to the birch lining at the same time of giving stain resistance.  It worked out just short of £80 inc vat.... it had BETTER be good 

You may notice I've still got the anchor rope on the lounge floor behind the sofa... I think it's fair to add "splicing ropes" to the lists of jobs I'm rubbish at.... at this rate, it's going to end up a granny knot!

Tomorrow morning, (Sat) we're making our last visit to the yard to go through the boat handover...  I need to transfer £10k each day to the builder for a few days as it's clear, I'm not going to be able to get to the bank before Thursday now.

Until next time


1 comment:

  1. I use window sealing stip on the inside of ny hangers to protect the paint. ...only use them when moored as they snap easily when a fender touches the side of a canal or lock when the boat is moving or scrape the paint if yours are stronger than the MC ones.

    ReplyDelete

If anyone does actually read this, please feel free to comment or ask questions.