Tuesday 24 November 2020

Fire-Escape & and 'That's That Then'.

Now then,  here we are again - nearly the end of November and I just realized I'm behind where I was LAST year in the old 'book-keeping' chores... looking through my phone to see what I'd been up to recently, I came across the screen shot I took on the 6th Nov Last year of my accepted Tax return by HMRC.  Hmmf...  not like it'll make begger all difference to the finances but I suppose I really do need to get it done before the deadline becomes just that.

MEANWHILE - ignoring 'grown up stuff' for a moment... ACTUALLY, come to think of it I suppose this is just as grown up:  After17 months of solicitors bills (for very little actual work me thinks), last week I got the Final Dissolution Order through from the court... WHICH in "normal parlance" would be classed as the 'Decree-absolute' - ergo,  I am now FINALLY legally single again.  I really do pity people who got 'properly married' or those with kids and maintenance issues to sort out... it must be horrible.  It's been a difficult enough split for us and we already came to a fair agreement BEFORE involving a solicitor.  In hindsight, we should have just done it ourselves and saved an awful lot of money for nothing.  Hey ho. Anyway - That's that then...  the end of an Era.

I'd hoped to feel more positive about it to be honest - alas when the paperwork landed on the doormat  (my tenant opens my post and updates me accordingly) it felt like a final dagger to the heart... like watching years of (mostly positive memories) having a big red cross put through them.  I can't deny it's sent me on a bit of a downer... not helped by the miserable winter blues nagging at my mood, all at the time of my late mums birthday anniversary...(and that's with me ignoring the covid elephant in the room).  Still - it does leave both Andy and I "free" to do it all again... hmm...  or perhaps not!  

We're still in touch - all be it at a LONG arms length...  there is still genuine affection for each other and I'm confident as time heals, we'll be able to be proper friends...  right now, I'm still smarting emotionally and as much as I WANT to totally forgive, I'm not sure I have the capacity just yet... likewise I suppose from his point of view... in one of my less proud moments (admittedly at the end of a very difficult few months, during which I struggled to come to terms with what had been going on) I lost control and was cruel to someone when I shouldn't have been... namely his parents.  The contents of that vicious exchange ( vicious from both sides) are private but suffice to say buttons, were pushed from which there came a point of no return - Which I'm sad about and when NOT looking through the red haze of the time, I regret and am sorry about.  

Still - it's all water under the bridge now and I hope everyone is able to move forward in whatever weird direction mother nature has in store for us all.

In my case, I had a VERY close call with the Grim-Reaper this week...  For a while now, when the immersion heater has been on (it's rated at 1kw) I've noticed 'hot smell' coming from the inverter.  To be honest, I just rationalized it in my head that as it contains a massive coil and moffsats (I think that's their name) this was probably just a  side - effect of them doing their job.

Being on Shoreline, I didn't really think much  of it until the other evening whilst cooking tea.  I had the microwave on at the same time as the immersion... (immersion 1kw and microwave rated at 1.5kw) -combined total still within the inverters capacity (or on pass-through mode) the 16amp shoreline feed.

The  'hot' smell became more of a 'Smokey' smell.

On opening the cupboard to look, it became apparent all was NOT good- acrid smoke was being produced and a strange "glow" from inside the inverter was visible.  After knocking off the power at the boat's isolator AND outside at the shoreline, I investigated properly by removing covers etc.

IT turned out that the negative INPUT must have had (good English) a poor/stretched connection and passing such a big current through created enough heat to melt the connecting block.



I went looking for a big choc block in amongst my electrical gubbings box... only to remember, I USED up the big ones last year when I fitted the power supply in the bedroom for the chap who had booked who needed to bring a CPAP machine with him... never used in anger due to covid trapping him in Germany.

Knocking on a neighboring (mid self build) boat, I managed to scrounge a smaller one and decided to use it for the earth.  I also replaced the internal negative wire with a new piece (and put the heat sleeve over it too) .



On putting it all back together I turned everything back on (hearing the fridge/freezer start up) I was relieved when it worked again.  Over the next couple of hours I kept checking (as you do) for smells and having phoned my brother (he's an electrician) and shown him what I'd done, we agreed all is now well...  I might just have been a case of poor crimping on the initial installation but whatever the cause, it's now resolved... the grim reaper being sent on his way on this occasion.  

To be on the SAFE SIDE - I fitted new batteries in all 3 smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms before retiring for the night lol.

IN OTHER NEWS... remember I mentioned about putting on a couple of Xmas Specials up on the website? - well I did... just 2, 3 night trips... ONE of which was snapped up very quickly which is marvelous... what's even better is that it's the Xmas eve one  and it's the lady who came for her 70th (and thus saved her 'bubble' for us, so no matter what happens, Boris can't really put a spanner in things.

The other one is yet to go but even if it doesn't, I think we'll make the trip anyway cause as lovely as Shoreline is, I do get a bit itchy hull when not moving around.

Ooo, before I go (I've 5 miles to walk this morning to pick up a parasol due an accidental WRONG location click and collect), I've had another visit from the Spanish rescue dog yesterday - he's a charming fellow and I REALLY could keep him.  He poses for photos almost instinctively




don't you think?

HIS visits have really made me think it's time to get another dog... or rather PLAN to.  Something Ed's size and nature would be perfect.  

The thing is, I DO have to consider what booked guests might think... SO - in a bid not to brass anyone off who's booked already for 2021, I've decided that WHEN I put the 2022 schedule online (I'm about to start that), at the top of the page is going to be a large paragraph explaining that for the 2022 season there will be a dog on board... this BEFORE anyone can book so as not to enforce it on anyone.  I Think that's fair and gives me  NEXT winter to find the perfect rescue dog to join the good ship Ellis.

Until Next time...

3 comments:

Catherine H said...

Dog is very cute, and looks like a good size. They have a good life on a narrowboat. My son is rescuing one from Romania, suppossed to be arriving soon, a small terrier, to live in a one bedroom flat in London. There has been a bit of turmoil in the last few weeks when France suddenly decided to ban animal or dog transport in the Chunnel. Not sure how that is going but their dog is being delayed a week (I'm in Australia).

Dave said...

I'm surprised that on a inverter that they used choc blocks and not a proper terminal block that was inside the case and shielded from prying fingers.

Hope the other xmas cruise sells. Unfortunately although i would like to get out on a boat this year, we can't do 3 night weekends due to work on Mondays.

As for the rescue dog. Wouldn't bother me but a boat, ship or whatever needs a CAT - See Mrs Tilly (Pip Leckenby)

Quaysider said...

Dave, (sorry can't make the new blogger reply specifically for some reason) the choc blocks sit behind a screw off panel that I'd removed - they come screwed to the inverter (photonic universe which I think is a labelled sterling thing but I could be wrong).

RE - 3 nights being a problem... if you'd like a 2 nighter that would be easy enough to do so let me know...